Ty has been making this bisque-type soup since I have known him. Every time I swear it is more delicious than the previous. It’s versatile and can be morphed into anything you’re craving- add some pancetta and potatoes or infuse with jalapenos- be creative. I convinced him to let me blog it for two reasons. 1) It is awesome and I think I should spread the word to my fellow soup-lovers and 2) I have NO CLUE how to make it myself and I need to learn!
Ty used to work at a really nice restaurant out in Colorado, which is where he learned to cook. He’s got talent, which is great for me because although I love cooking, I also enjoy sitting back and smelling something amazing being created (like the beer broccoli cheddar). Plus who doesn’t love a good-looking man making a mess in the kitchen?
Beer Broccoli Cheddar Soup
3 sticks carrots
2 medium onions
3/4 large green bell pepper
3 sticks celery
3 tbsp butter
7 cloves garlic (use to your preference-we l.o.v.e garlic)
Spices (generous pinches of crushed red pepper, oregano, basil, pepper, and salt)
1/4 cup flour
Half bottle of amber or brown style beer
4 cups chicken stock
1 head broccoli (or 1 frozen bag)
1 cup heavy cream
6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a food processor, finely chop the carrots, onion, pepper, and celery.
2. In a large stockpot, melt the butter over medium-high heat, add the garlic and spices. Saute for a few minutes. Add the processed vegetables and saute for an additional 7 minutes.
3. Remove from heat momentarily. Add the flour to the mixture and stir to combine. This will form a doughy-type vegetable ball (see below).
4. Add 1/2 bottle of beer. Return to heat and whisk to combine.
5. Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, let simmer for about half an hour.
6. Add broccoli and return to a simmer for about 5 minutes.
7. Add cream and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
8. Add shredded cheddar while whisking- if you add, then stir, the cheese will clump up.
One more thing. While you’re shredding the cheese, don’t let the cute beg-face fool you!